Pets are a HUGE comfort, aren’t they?! For me, my kitty was a constant loving helper and caretaker to calm me after 2 decades ago, I left a husband that became mentally ill, abusive, and a criminal in trouble with the FBI.
It was through that journey of loss and healing I realized everyone has a story, pets are therapy and art is healing. Because of that, I wanted to help others celebrate and remember their companion pet through handcrafted pet art.
HOW PETS HELP
We are finding out just how much comfort our furry companions are giving us. They’ve made us get out of bed, go outside and stay on a routine. They’ve lessened our loneliness in quarantine and lowered our stress and anxiety by purring softly beside us or giving us kisses. Pets are family. Agree?
Now, more than ever, due to the extra financial, psychological and physical impacts of COVID-19, domestic violence has increased worldwide: by 30% in France, 25% in Argentina….There is an even greater need for victims to get safe now!
STATS (United States)
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men experience domestic abuse in their lifetime.
- As few as 10% of domestic violence shelters accept pets.
- 48% of all victims delay leaving because they don’t want to leave their pet.
- Over 70% of women in domestic violence shelters report their abuser threatened, injured, or killed a pet as a means of control.
HOW GREYBOY PET PRINTS IS HELPING
Here are two ways I’m helping:
1. For the month of October, I’m donating 15% of all pet art commissions and gift certificate sales to Red Rover, a 501c non-profit in high esteem. They bring animals and their people from crisis to care by helping animals rescued from disasters or neglect, domestic violence (DV) victims seeking safety with their pets, and animals with life-threatening illnesses. I’m donating to help them make sure there is a women’s shelter in ALL 50 states that can house a DV victim’s pet too (only 4 states left to go!).
2. I’ve personally developed a new resource to teach and empower women to care for their own safety. I share my own story and how I never want any women, young or old, to feel helpless and vulnerable like I did. See my story and online women’s self-defense course.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Please help me bring awareness this October during domestic violence awareness month:
– Order a pet portrait early for the holidays and 15% of your purchase goes to RedRover. You receive a complimentary second print of your etched portrait (see below) and a purple leash!
– Or make a straight donation to RedRover.org and get a purple leash.
– Use hashtags #petsarefamily #safeplaceforpets. You can screenshot the images above to share or simply re-share from my FB and IG feeds @GreyboyPetPrints.
– Forward this blog post to a family or friend you know that cares about this too.
Thank you, friend! We are stronger together! #domesticviolenceawarenessmonth
NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE = 1-800-799-SAFE
To order your own etched pet art from your snapshot, choose your preferred size. It will then prompt you to send along a few images for me to choose the best image for an etched portrait. Talk with you soon! 🙂